Thursday, September 15, 2011

Homemade Granola Bars

I brought this yummy treat to playgroup yesterday and was told they tasted much like no-bake cookies (minus the chocolate) their moms made when they were younger.

I used a recipe from allrecipes.com (that is where I start for recipes I am looking for) but substituted some things that I had. If you click on the link (title below), you can find the original recipe. It called for raisins, sunflower seed, wheat germ, sesame seeds and chocolate chips. Seeing as I didn't have any of these, I used what I had.


1/2 c packed brown sugar (why is brown sugar almost always packed?)
1/3 c peanut butter
1/4 c corn syrup
1/4 c melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/2 c oats
1/4 c craisins (the pomegranate flavor is delicious)
1/4 c pecan pieces
1/2 c coconut

Combine all ingredients and put into an 8" greased pan. Bake 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees.

The recipe said to fold in the chocolate chips, but I didn't think this was necessary or possible since it is a very thick mixture. I can't imagine it would be easy to fold them in.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, these look really good. I think I could substitute thin sliced almonds for oats and nutella instead of peanut butter :) Now don't those sound healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sounds really healthy, probably should keep it as a "mom only treat." If I am part of your "10 minute computer break" I feel very proud, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete